Here’s what you need to know about Splish Splash Water Park Long Island. This family-friendly attraction in Calverton, NY is a great day trip for the summer months. Don’t forget to visit Groupon.com before you buy your tickets – they usually have discounted prices available!
About mid-summer, I started to notice that my kids weren’t running to the door every time I’d say, “Let’s go to the beach.” Even though they still seemed to be enjoying the summer, I felt like we needed something new and exciting to make the last few weeks special. So, what better way to add a little excitement to your summer than to visit an amusement park?
Luckily, we have an amazing 96-acre water park located right in Calverton, New York. Splish Splash Water Park Long Island has every type of water ride imaginable from a lazy river to a water roller coaster. The park even includes a spray park and slides for the little ones. There really is something for every age group at this water park.
Since we had such a great time on our impromptu day trip, I wanted to share some information with you about all of the rides we went on throughout the day. Just so you know, my kids are still a bit young – so we may have skipped some rides! Regardless, I hope my honest review helps you plan a very special day trip of your own this summer!
Splish Splash Water Park Long Island
Our Favorite Waterpark Rides
We first visited Dinosaur Falls, which is a giant slide that you ride down in a tube. Younger kids can ride down with you in a double tube. The slide is just fast enough to make it super exciting, but gentle enough not to scare the little ones.
We quickly realized that there were several similar “tube-riding” slides in the park. Of course, we tried them all and found that each ride had its own unique twists and turns to keep the riders guessing. If you have cautious kids, it is a good idea to look at the ride before getting on the line. We waited for a good twenty minutes before realizing that one ride was too much for my five-year-old.
For the thrill seekers, there is plenty to keep them entertained, but be prepared to wait on line. My daughter was dying to try the water roller coaster, Bootlegger’s Run, but we talked her out of it after seeing the 90 minute wait. Many of the other bigger rides had similar wait times.
For the less adventurous types, there is Kiddie Cove. With three separate play areas, little ones can play until their hearts are content. There are twisty slides, swings in a pool and a giant pirate ship. There are also two wave pools, which are great for kids of all ages.
Food and Beverages
When you need a break, stop by the snack shack for lunch. There is a wide variety of food that you would expect at an amusement park – pizza, burgers, and fries – as well as healthier options like salads and wraps. There are also ice cream carts located throughout the park.
Outside food is not permitted in the park, except for bottled water, so plan accordingly. However, there are picnic areas outside the main entrance where you can enjoy your own food if you follow a specific diet (gluten-free, dairy-free, etc) or have food allergies.
Cabanas – Are They Worth It?
The short answer is: YES! The longer answer is: I will never go to Splish Splash without renting a cabana. Why? Well because it’s expensive to go to the waterpark in the first place and it’s crowded no matter when you go. So, it is incredibly helpful to have a place to go to “chill out” when your kids start to get cranky or when they’re on the verge of a hangry meltdown.
We got a cabana by the wave pool, which turned out to be a great spot. When it was time for lunch, we took everyone back to the cabana and let them play in the Wave Pool while we waited for lunch to be made and delivered. Then the kids were able to sit at a proper table and catch their breath while they ate.
Plus, at the end of the day, we made a “towel tent” and everyone was able to put on dry clothes. This was a huge plus because no one had to go home in sopping wet clothes.
My humble opinion is that if you’re going to spend an entire day at Splish Splash Water Park Long Island, spend a little extra money so you can keep your sanity.
Random Things To Know
- It gets very crowded, especially on the weekends, so try to get there early. Be prepared to wait on line. This is the only waterpark on Long Island and lots of people come in from the city. Tip: Overcast days are less crowded!
- However, the lines are much shorter first thing in the morning, so try to get there as soon as it opens and jump on all of your favorite rides before the lines get too long. Also, if you get there early – go to the back of the park first and work your way to the front. This way, you’ll be ahead of the crowds!
- The water on the rides is ice cold, but it’s a waterpark, right? If you tend to chill easily, save your trip for a super hot day. The park has a lot of shade, which only adds to blue lips and toes!
- Be sure to check out the rides before waiting in line. Some of the rides went through dark tunnels, had soaking waterfalls, and very loud noises. It might be too much for younger kids. With that said, there is something for everyone, especially with a dedicated Kiddie Area and age-appropriate rides for younger children.
- Bring a small waterproof bag to hold your cell phone and wallet in. You know your kids are going to want 800 pictures of their special day and you need somewhere to stash your cash.
- Lockers are available, for a fee, on a “first come, first serve” basis.
- Online reviewers have mentioned that Splish Splash Water Park Long Island is staffed mostly by “teenagers” who seem “bored” at work. On our trip, we did see young staff members operating the rides, but it did not seem to be an issue. The waterpark is one of the main sources of employment for teenagers for the summer so it’s to be expected.
Admission to Splish Splash Water Park Long Island
Tickets cost $37.99 for general admission. For kids under 48 inches, the price is $27.99.
To beat the lines, you can purchase the H2Go Pass which allows you go to the head of the lines, but be prepared to shell out an additional $40 per person on the weekends.
Don’t forget! You can Save Money On Tickets to Splish Splash Long Island on Groupon.com!
Splish Splash Water Park Long Island Location
2549 Splish Splash Drive, Calverton, NY 11933.
Overall, Splish Splash is a great option for families looking for something different to do on Long Island. There really is something for everyone at the park as long as you don’t mind getting wet!
Thanks for reading,
Disclosure: Compensation was provided to We Know Stuff from Splish Splash via US Family Guide. However, the opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Splish Splash.
Want to read more reviews about Long Island attractions?
- the long island game farm, manorville, ny.
- atlantis marine world, riverhead, ny
- suffolk county farm & education center, yaphank, ny
- shipwreck cove bay shore ny
Leave a Reply