Preventing and dealing with common heat conditions that occur with children. You don’t have to stay indoors in warm weather if you’re prepared.
The weather is warming up and it is only going to get hotter as spring turns into summer. Taking children, especially babies, outside to enjoy the sunshine and beautiful weather can be an enriching experience but can have painful and itchy consequences if the proper steps are not taken to prevent heat rash, sunburn, and other heat-related conditions. Below are some simple tips to enjoy the sun without putting your child, and even yourself, at risk.
Heat Rash 101
- Heat Rash is commonly found on body areas that are covered by clothing and it develops when the sweat ducts become blocked and swell.
- The rash is usually pink or red, contains dots or tiny pimples and often leads to discomfort and itching.
- Although it is more common in babies, anyone in a hot and humid climate can suffer from it.
- Sunburn is the result of being exposed to the sun for a period of time, which can vary from person to person because of factors like skin type and the sun’s intensity.
- It can make your skin extremely red, painful and swelling or blisters can appear. Flu-like symptoms such as chills, headache, and nausea are also known to occur in severe cases.
Preventing and dealing with common heat conditions that occur with children
1. Check the weather before you head outdoors.
It is recommended that you stay indoors if the temperature is anything above 95 degrees. It’s important that parents make judgment calls here because they know their child the best and 90 might be too hot for some. Stick to shaded areas if you do head out in higher temperatures.
2. Dress your baby in light, loose cotton clothing.
This allows their skin to breathe and avoids irritation from clothes rubbing against skin. Hats are also a good idea, but just remember to occasionally take it off to let your baby’s skin breathe.
3. Use a child-friendly sunscreen.
There are many products to choose from on the market today, but one good choice is Babytime!’s Sunny Sunscreen. It is doctor developed and is approved for people of all ages from 0-150. Sunny Sunscreen has safe minerals that work to protect the skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays, while aloe and green tea extract keep skin cool and protected.
Dealing with heat rash or sunburn:
- Call the doctor if you think the sunburn is severe or the heat rash persists. You can never be too careful when it comes to caring for your child.
- Use a washcloth and cool water to rinse away sweat and body oil. You can also apply the washcloth to the affected areas to lower the temperature of the skin.
- Let the child air dry instead of rubbing them down with a towel, which is sure to further irritate the area. It is also important to let your child’s skin breathe as much as possible afterward.
- Use safe and fragrance-free skin products like Babytime!’s Active Repair, which is formulated to create a barrier and promote fast-acting healing for rashes. Babytime! Nurturing Balm is another good option which uses zinc, tea tree oil and organic calendula to battle bacteria and seal out wetness.
Want more articles about raising families?
- how to find the right car seat for your child
- i get it…parenting is hard
- what can kids learn from nature? everything.
- does my child need to be reading before kindergarten?
Babytime! by Episencial is the only company to make baby-safe, all-natural skincare products that support skin immunity and help treat common skin conditions, like eczema, cradle cap, and common dehydration. With clinically effective formulas designed to support the health and development of both the skin and body, Babytime! provides a protective barrier to insulate vulnerable skin, offset environmental contaminants, and help keep children safe. By virtue of all natural ingredients Babytime! products reduce exposure to unnecessary and potentially harmful chemicals so prevalent in skin care products; even those marketed for babies and children. Doctors and medical professionals throughout North America use Babytime!’s skincare products in their hospitals. Babytime!’s unique probiotics formulation helps to enhance skin immunity, with organic ingredients as high as 95% to ensure the best quality.