This easy gluten free cupcake recipe for mother’s day is the perfect little dessert. Your mom will love this tasty little dessert on her special day.
Ever since I was little, Mother’s Day has always been one of my most favorite holidays. It was always a day spent surrounded by family. The day was loosely planned to ensure a fuss-free day, with the focus being the pure enjoyment of each other’s company.
My mom would pack myself and my siblings into the car to take a drive over to my Grandmother’s house. We would pick up bagels and lox for an easy brunch from her favorite bagel shop. Along the way, we would stop at the little garden center by her house and pick out the most colorful flowers we could find.
After we had all eaten our fill, we would sit out on my Grandmother’s deck and plant up all the fragrant flowers we had picked for her. While the adults chatted, we would chase butterflies in the yard and swing on the little wood slab swing my Grandfather had made. It was always such a fun, laid back day – simplicity at its finest.
Now that I’m a mom, I look forward to spending my Mother’s Day the same exact way.
Although my Grandmother is no longer with us, I follow the same tradition my own mom established so many years ago. Now it is my turn to pack up my kids and visit the same exact garden center to pick out her favorite flowers. I couldn’t imagine a better way to spend the day with my family.
This year, I’ll be packing along these beautiful speckled Mother’s Day cupcakes. After all, nothing makes a holiday more special than a delicious little cupcake!
EASY GLUTEN FREE CUPCAKE RECIPE
Prep time: 20 Min
Cook time: 20 Min
Total time: 40 Min
Yield: 12 Cupcakes
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 box Simple Mills vanilla cake mix
- 1 tub Simple Mills Vanilla frosting
- Natural blue food coloring (Color Garden brand or other)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon water + 1 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, water and vanilla in a large bowl and add the dry mix; whisk until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Add the frosting to a large bowl and add drops of blue dye until desired color is achieved.
- Frost the cupcakes with a frosting spatula or piping bag.
- Combine the cocoa powder and water in a small bowl; mix until combined.
- Take a kitchen brush or small paint brush and dip it in the cocoa mixture. Flick the mixture on to the cupcakes to create specks.
- Repeat until all cupcakes are decorated.
Tip: Cover the area around the cupcakes before adding specks so you don’t get the mixture all over the kitchen!