This simple tutorial will show you how to apply silver leaf easily to canvas. Applying silver leaf is a fun way to enhance your canvas art. this post may contain affiliate links.
Sometimes, finding artwork for your home can seem like an impossible task. Often when you have a specific subject in mind, replicating the vision you have inside your head can be extremely difficult. For me, the onset of winter had me searching high and low for artwork featuring snow covered evergreen trees. I scoured the internet and local shops, but still couldn’t find what I was looking for. I was just about ready to give up when I found Canvas on the Cheap.
Canvas on the Cheap is an online canvas printing company located in Austin, TX. They print and stretch their canvases in-house to deliver high quality prints at incredible prices. I knew if I could find the right photo, all I would have to do was upload it and voila! Custom artwork delivered straight to my doorstep!
I was thrilled when I found the perfect photo on Unsplash by John Westrock. This moody, snow covered evergreen landscape was love at first site for me. I uploaded it to Canvas on the Cheap and had my canvas delivered in days. I wanted to add a little something special to my canvas and decided to silver foil the outer edges. If you are not framing your canvas, applying silver leaf is a fun way to add a little extra sparkle to your canvas print. It was incredibly easy to do and I love the way it looks when I walk in the room!
How to Apply Silver Leaf Easily to Canvas
How to Apply Silver Leaf Easily to Canvas Directions:
- Lightly wipe your canvas to remove any dust or debris.
- Tape your canvas with painters tape so your adhesive stays on the sides of your canvas.
- Apply a thin layer of gilding adhesive to the outside edges of your canvas. Allow to dry for 30 minutes. It should still feel tacky when you touch it.
- You can gently pick up the pieces by hand, or use wax paper to maneuver the silver leaf. (I worked in small sections and did not find it difficult to apply to the edges.)
- Press the silver foil onto the sides of your canvas. It will stick to the sides when as you release the paper. Continue around the edge of your canvas.
- When finished, use a soft brush to brush away the excess silver leaf pieces. (If you notice you missed a few spots, apply the gilding adhesive again, wait 30 minutes and press silver foil to empty spots.)
- Apply metal leaf sealer to seal the silver leaf to the canvas.
- Allow to dry fully.
Disclosure ~ I received a free canvas from Canvas on the Cheap to conduct this honest review. No other compensation received. All opinions expressed herein are 100% my own. I hope you enjoyed learning my how to apply silver leaf easily to canvas tutorial!
Would you like more DIY ideas like this one? Check out the articles below!